Why Smiling Improves Your HealthMay 23, 2020
How to Choose a New Dentist May 25, 2020
When you have an event coming up such as a wedding or graduation you know you are going to be taking a lot of pictures. One of the things you will be considering is teeth whitening because those memories will be with you for a lifetime and documenting your yellow smile is not something that most people want to do. In years past, there were not as many options available to obtain that coveted bright, white smile. Today, you have any number of at-home whitening kits that you can buy at the pharmacy, you can resort to trying out DIY home remedies, or you can seek the assistance of your San Diego teeth whitening dentist for professional whitening. You can also choose to eat as a means to whiten your teeth.
What Foods Naturally Whiten Your Teeth?
There are certain foods that contain compounds that are perfect at doing the job of naturally whitening your teeth. These include:
- Strawberries are a summertime favorite and they are even sweeter knowing that the malic acid they have attacks stains on your teeth.
- Seeds and nuts that are ground up when you chew cause them to act like a scraper grinding topical debris off of your teeth. Walnuts, almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds do the job well. While they remove residue they will also whiten.
- The sulfuric acid in onions fights back sticky plaque build-up on your teeth. Cooked onions aren’t going to do the trick. You need to eat raw onions so add them to your salads, sandwiches, tuna salad, or anything that you can handle a bit of raw onion.
- Apples are like a workout for your mouth. Biting through these firm fruits increases strength in your gums and it also encourages saliva production. The saliva will rinse away bacteria in the mouth that causes discoloration and leads to tooth decay.
- Baking soda is a component of many DIY at-home concoctions, and rightfully so! It works! The salt scrubs and rubs your tooth’s enamel slowly removing plaque and stains that sit on the surface of your teeth. Add a bit of water to some baking soda and mix together then brush all that grime away.
- Celery and carrots will cause your mouth to salivate and that wet saliva washes nasty bacteria and stains away from your teeth. Like apples, these hard veggies can strengthen your gums when eaten raw.
- Raw broccoli is another coarse and hard food that is both healthful to eat and good for scrubbing teeth clean.
- Cheese has a ton of calcium which helps sustain the minerals in your tooth’s enamel keeping that frontline protection strong. Dairy products’ lactic acid also helps keep teeth healthy.
- Oranges are juicy, citrusy fruits that are known for their high vitamin C content. They also act as a neutralizing agent to the damaging acid in your mouth that can lead to tooth caries.
- Like saliva, water is a good way to wash away stains when you eat dark-colored foods and drinks. Always use still water for these benefits.
- Pears act similarly to oranges by neutralizing decay-causing bacteria.
Find A San Diego Dentist To Keep Your Smile White
Whether you want a professional whitening service or you just need to keep up with care for your oral health, McBride Dental is a California dental practice that will help. We can guide you on home care for proper oral hygiene and offer you services to satisfy all of you and your family’s dental needs. Call the San Diego family dentist at McBride Dental to schedule your appointment at (760) 471-1003.