Many Americans suffer from tooth loss due to poor oral hygiene, aging, and/or injury. Fortunately, there are options to help those suffering from tooth loss still have a beautiful and healthy smile. One of the treatment options for tooth loss is dental implant surgery, which is a procedure that replaces tooth roots with metal posts and replaces missing teeth with natural-looking, artificial teeth.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
One of the major benefits of dental implants is the solid support they provide for new artificial teeth, which requires the jawbone to heal around the implant. This type of installation ensures that the implants won’t slip or click when individuals speak, eat, or laugh. Other benefits include:
- Increased Confidence – Because dental implants feel, look, fit, and function like natural teeth, they make individuals feel better about their appearance and secure with their smile. They’re designed to be comfortable so that individuals don’t worry about them. They’re also designed to help individuals keep their natural face shape and smile.
- Long-lasting Solution – As long as dental implants are properly taken care of, they can last for over a decade.
- Facial Bone and Teeth Protection – Whenever a tooth falls out, it leaves behind an empty hole in the gums, which can lead to jaw deterioration. Dental implants are the only solution to help stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- Improved Oral Health – Because dental implants don’t require the reduction of other teeth, the surrounding teeth are still left intact, which improves long-term oral health.
- Convenience – Dental implants are convenient because they are designed to permanently remain in the mouth, which means they don’t need to be removed like dentures. Therefore, this eliminates the need for adhesives, which are used to keep dentures in place.
- Smooth Procedure – Dental installation surgery is designed to produce very little discomfort for those getting the procedure. Local anesthetics are used during the surgery, and the process is usually less painful than having a tooth pulled.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
For those who are experiencing damaged or missing teeth, it’s vital to be examined by a dentist who can discuss the most appropriate treatment options. However, there are some signs that may indicate that dental implants are the best treatment options for some individuals. These signs include:
- Tooth loss;
- Jaw bone that hasn’t fully developed;
- Sufficient bone to support and secure implants;
- Healthy oral tissues;
- Unable to wear dentures; and
- Tooth decay due to tobacco.
San Diego Dental Implant Dentistry
At McBride Dental, we offer dental implants because they provide stability to help our patients maintain the long-lasting healthy smile they desire. Dental implants are unique because they replace the entire tooth, which includes the root, leaving our patients with a natural-looking smile. Dr. Michael McBride is one of the three dentists in San Diego County that is board certified to install and restore dental implants. Our goal is to help our clients restore their smile to optimal health, function, and appearance. If you are in the San Diego area and believe you need dental implants, call 760-471-1003 to schedule an appointment today.