Tips for Starting the New Year With a Healthy Mouth

Will I Get Dry Socket If I Have a Tooth Pulled?
Will I Get Dry Socket If I Have a Tooth Pulled?
January 7, 2021
Good Oral Hygiene Benefits More Than Just Your Teeth
Good Oral Hygiene Benefits More Than Just Your Teeth
January 13, 2021
Show all

Tips for Starting the New Year With a Healthy Mouth

The beginning of a brand new year is a good time to take stock of your life and pick some things that you would like to work on. One very popular New Year’s resolution that people make is to implement new exercise routines and stick to a diet in order to improve their health. While you are focused on all this self-improvement, why not include your oral health as well? Your mouth is an entryway to your body and taking proper care of it will help impede several other health problems like a stroke, diabetes, and heart disease.

Listed below are a few pointers that will show you how to start and end the year with flawless oral health.

Revamp Your Flossing Habits

Flossing every single day is a very crucial step towards achieving optimal oral health. A standard toothbrush, however, can only reach about 60% of the surface area of your teeth. Flossing is the best way to eliminate the remaining 40%. Flossing is only beneficial to your oral health, however, when it is done properly. If you are not curving the floss into a C-shape as you use it and not reaching far enough underneath of your gums, then it won’t get rid of the plaque that is beneath your gum line and between your teeth. 

Try Using An Electric Toothbrush

Tips for Starting the New Year With a Healthy Mouth

Electric toothbrushes are generally thought to be more efficient than standard toothbrushes when they are used properly. When using an electric toothbrush, you do not need to move the brush in a back and forward motion, you only have to guide it around your mouth and let the constant vibrations clean your teeth.  

Don’t Skip Your Tongue 

There are several million bacteria living on your tongue. These bacteria can cause cavities to form. Your tongue is also made up of folds and taste buds, which bacteria are able to hide in. The buildup of these bacteria can cause unpleasant problems like tooth decay and chronic bad breath. When you brush your teeth, make sure you are also brushing your tongue and eliminating that bacteria.

Schedule Your Next Dental Visit

If it has been longer than six months since you have been to see your dental professional, it’s time to make an appointment for your next routine tooth cleaning and check-up. If you have been feeling tooth pain or sensitivity, or if you have a concern about your oral health, it isn’t a good idea to delay your dental visit. The longer you take to have any oral health problem diagnosed and treated, the more time consuming, painful, and expensive it is going to be.  

At McBride Dental, we want to help you and your family do everything possible to have and preserve healthy teeth and gums. By scheduling regular appointments with your California family dentist and practicing the oral care techniques we teach you, your whole family will easily maintain teeth that are healthy, strong, and effective.

The San Marcos offices of Dr. Michael McBride are staffed with reputable, professional San Diego dentists that are ready to address any concerns you may have regarding common dental procedures, as well as preventative, cosmetic, or restorative dentistry. We also provide sedation dentistry treatments as an option for our patients with severe dental anxiety.

It is our job to help you and your family establish healthy dental habits to make sure that your teeth will always be there when you need them and your smile will always look great.

Related posts

Welcome to McBride Dental!

Welcome to McBride Dental, the dental practice of Dr. Michael McBride and our experienced dental team. We offer cosmetic, family, and Read more

Understanding Medicare Eligibility Requirements
What to Do if You Lose a Crown

Anytime a crown is installed by McBride Dental’s team of dental professionals it is with the intention that it restores Read more

Tips to Avoid an Oral Injury

A severe injury or emergency can happen in your mouth, just like any other part of the body. While you Read more